Thursday, September 20, 2012

Making a List

Lately, I have felt so behind on just stuff in general.  Part of it is work and another part is pure not wanting to do it.  The things that I have put off are not major things, but since I have let them set they are now piling up and  just thinking about getting started makes me tired. Therefore, I have decided to just make a list and check things off one by one.  The first thing on my list.  To actually download, organize, print, and make into pretty books/scrapbooks pictures of Payton from birth until now.  I took the first step and actually downloaded and organized into downloaded folders all the pictures of Payton in chronological order.  That was no easy task.  However, it was enjoyable because I found so many pictures that just made me laugh.  I also shed a few tears because she is really no longer a baby.











I mean, seriously, why do they have to grow up so fast?  I love the age Payton is right now, but looking at those pictures makes me seriously miss my baby.

The next thing on my list is to actually organize and furnish (cheaply for now) the junk room.  Over the Labor Day weekend I totally cleaned out our house.  It was wonderful, but the junk room became more of a junk room.  Furniture that we no longer use (just a desk and chair) and tons of pictures from law school, marriage, and the first few months of Payton are all in containers just laying on the floor.  Curtains that I need to hang (also on my to do list) hanging in the closet.  It really is a big fat mess.  Therefore, that is next on my list.

Other things on my list are just more personal.  Not really anything in particular, but more of just to enjoy everything.  Take Payton more places and enjoy the seasons.  I have already purchased Rapunzel tickets for the family from Casa Manana theater in  Fort Worth for February.  I have already pinned (yes, I know pintrest is a love/ hate for some) some fun fall things to do with Payton like painting tree leaves and fun fall crafts.  Although my crafts will never be as good or creative as the ones I am trying to do off pintrest, it is still fun.

I would love for all of us to camping as well.  I am not a camper, I am not a huge fan of nature, but I know that in a few years Payton will not want to spend all her time with us.  Therefore, I really want to take advantage of this time while Derek and I are still the coolest people to her.  I also want her to experience new things.  I don't know if I had some kind of epiphany, but I think looking back at all her pictures made me realize that this time is so precious.  I always knew it was, but I really want to focus on doing things with her that are not just her tagging along with me on weekends while I do my "to do" list of weekend chores.  Don't get me wrong, it is a part of life, but I want to try to really plan at least one thing every week (big or small) that is all about her and creating an experience that she will enjoy and hopefully remember.   I have no idea if that is making any sense, but I know what my goal is and I am going to try to check it off my list every week.


Speaking of Payton, have you ever noticed once you have a kid all the things you forgot about from your childhood is suddenly brought back in an instant.  For example, peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, rolling down a grassy hill, eating that Popsicle that is in the long plastic tube and drinking all the Popsicle juice out once you are done with it.  Well, I had another flash back last night.  We have started reading some poems out of this at night.








I have totally forgotten about this book. It was one of my favorites in elementary school.  I think I bought it for Payton when she was first born.  I remember seeing it when I was shopping for baby books for Payton and buying it because I loved it so much.  She found it on her bookshelf the other day and we started reading some poems.  It totally brought me back to elementary school and checking this book out from the library.  I will say that I did remember the illustrations being a little different, but some of them are flat out weird and not appropriate for a toddler (they still scare me).  However, I try to skip those pages when I am reading to Payton.  Payton's favorite poems are Hot Dog for a Pet and Too Many Kids in this Tub.

HOT DOG
I have a hot dog for a pet,
The only kind my folks would let
Me get.
He does smell sort of bad
And yet,
He absolutely never gets
The sofa wet.
We have a butcher for a vet,
The strangest vet you ever met.
Guess we're the weirdest family yet,
To have a hot dog for a pet.



There's too many kids in this tub
There's too many elbows to scrub
I just washed a behind that I'm sure wasn't mine
There's too many kids in this tub.

I mean seriously, how can those not make you smile??? I hope everyone has an awesome weekend.

1 comment:

Kam De Leon said...

Vin and I have been reading Where the Sidewalk Ends. He loves them but I agree some are not kid friendly!
When I first logged in, I thought you were announcing a new pregnancy!
We're having a party on Oct. 20th and would love yall to come. Soup, beer, pumpkins, kids and Mat/Jaime will be here too.