Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Pocahontas Mulan

Who is Pocahontas Mulan you ask??? Well, before I go into details I want to clarify a few things first before I get a ton of phone calls from relatives and friends. First of all, in all likelihood Payton will be an only child. Derek and I are totally content with one child. I am not saying we will NEVER have another, but in realty Payton will be it. That being said, even IF (and that is a big IF) we decide to have another child, it will not be anytime in the near future. I think we MAY start to consider it when she is at least four.

However, the other night Derek and I were talking about how big Payton was getting and how we missed the baby stage. We also started talking about how fast she is growing and soon she will be a teenager and so forth. Therefore, we asked Payton is she wanted a little brother or sister. Payton said she wanted a sister. Derek then explained to Payton that she would probably be an only child. Payton then proceeded to sit down on the floor and put her head down like she was sad. She looked so sad. Derek then looked at me like "What the hell have you been telling her?" I explained that I haven't said anything to her, and that her teacher at school was expecting a baby in April so maybe at school they discussed babies and brothers and sisters.

Derek then looked down at Payton, who was still just staring at the floor so disappointed, and asked her if she wanted a brother or sister. Payton responded again that she wanted a sister. I asked her what we should name her sister. She said Pocahontas. Derek and I were trying not to crack-up. I then asked her, because she is into wanting to know everyone's full name and doctor's name, what her little sister's full name would be. She looked at me and said, in all seriousness, Pocahontas Mulan. Like Duh, mother.

Can you tell we are in a Disney Princess stage right now? I bought her a little twelve pack of Disney Princess books and we have to read them every day. She is also starting to use her imagination a lot. I am in awe of some of the things she pretends to do. For example, she took two of her princess books and put them on the floor and stood on them. She then looked back at me and said she was roller skating. Also, anytime anyone is sick or missing from school Payton explains to me that they have an ear infection and they need ear surgery.

What else......... let's see. She can now officially say all her ABC's and she can even say the sound each letter makes. Every night before bed time we have to sing the ABC's and letter factory. She knows her shapes and colors and now we are working on "reading" to an extent. Nothing fancy. When we read books she will point out letters I ask her to find. She only knows her capital letters so I guess I need to focus more on lower case. Also, when I say reading, I guess it is more like spelling. I spell out words and she says what they are. We only have a few down like go, stop, Payton, Mommy, Daddy. I think I am going to start spelling colors.

Other than that life is still moving forward at lighting speed.

No comments: