Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Nick Jr.

I thought I would dedicate a post to Nick Jr. I didn't even realize we had this channel until Payton came along. It is funny that once you have a kiddo how many new things you learn about. I do want to post a few caveats before I get into the heart of my post:

1) Yes, I let my child watch TV. Oh, the horror, I know. However, Payton is not obsessed with it, and developmentally her vocabulary is through the roof.
2) Although my child does watch TV, her favorite past time is coloring.
3) Payton also loves to read, and can sing her ABC's up to "I" and can count up to ten.

Based on the foregoing, I do not feel like a bad parent for letting my child watch TV.

Okay......back to Nick Jr.

Payton's favorite show by far is Blue's Clues. We are even having a Blue's Clues birthday party, and Santa may have snagged an authentic child's thinking chair that FOA Swards sold for $400.00 bucks about 5 years ago. Gotta love e-bay.




She is also a big fan of Olivia. However, Olivia comes on at 8:30 at night and that is usually right at bedtime. Depending on her mood decides whether or not she watches Olivia.




I have to admit. I really enjoy watching Olivia and I also like Blue's Clues. In fact, I can sing every song from Blue's Clues. Don't be jealous.

Now, I would like to address the show called Yo Gabba Gabba.




Payton loves this show. The only thing I can say positive about this show is that on Saturdays and Sundays it comes on at 7:00 and 7:30 a.m. Therefore, when Payton wakes up, I can turn this on and I can still lay in bed. Derek also really likes this show. He has even admitted to watching it without Payton. I just don't get it. It is like what I imagine a really bad acid trip would be like. I am sure there was a lot of research that went into this show, but it is just weird to me. That being said, I can at least tolerate this show.

Now, there is one show on Nick Jr. that I CANNOT STAND. Lucky for me, Payton doesn't really like it so I am safe for now. That show would be:




There is just something about the characters' voices that makes me want to run for the hills. Any time this show comes on, I immediately turn it off.

Also, Payton is not into her, yet.




Which is really good, because for some reason Dora annoys me as well. Not as bad as Wonder Pets, but it is pretty close.

All and all, I really enjoy having Nick Jr. It can provide a distraction when needed, and they don't play commercials. It is all geared towards preschool ages and I feel that some of the shows are somewhat educational. There you go, my opinion on Nick Jr.

1 comment:

Aggie99 said...

Oh man, we haven't ventured into any of this stuff yet and I'm not looking forward to it. We've dabbled in Disney's Mickey Mouse Clubhouse but she's only interested for about ten minutes. I ran across Yo Gabba Gabba one night and wow. I totally agree. A bad acid trip, indeed!